Re: Revisiting the GNOME Panel in general...

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 00:01 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 15:06 +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > This is something that's been itching at me for a while, and Jeff
> > prodded me in the direction of the list and Davyd's blog post[0].  As
> > I'm not on Planet GNOME I figured I'd reply on the list instead.
>
> ... snip for brevity...
>
> Scott, we indeed have identical views. For anyone who didn't understand
> my mumblings, try Scott's ;)

Excellent!  From reading your original post I had the impression mine
were a bit more radical (especially combining launchers and nicons).

> Now, we need to discuss the prospect of making a pipe dream a reality ;)

*clears the breakables so he can handwave a bit*

I think between us we've actually come up with several different, and
wholly related, tasks there.

 * Panel Management.  Basically the "zones" bit I was talking about; the
   stuff to make the panel a lot more intelligent about management of
   its contents.

 * Applet API.  I'm with you that basically we're making everything a
   notification icon, in effect.  The Applet APIs would need to be
   overhauled to make the world a simpler place.  A lot of the harder
   work isn't needed with a more intelligent Panel.

 * Launcher Plus.  This is a tricky bit; looking at a way to allow
   programs to "take over" their launcher for use as a control icon.
   Making the launchers more "active" in general ... if I click the
   Mozilla icon when its already running, it should focus it (or maybe
   open a new window, for Mozilla?)

   There's almost certainly some session management gubbins here.

 * Hardware/Hal Applets.  Some kind of system to add and remove applets
   as hardware is added and removed.  Either, as you suggest, integrate
   this into gnome-session or some kind of applet manager daemon.

 * Applets overhaul.  Overhauling the applets themselves to work
   perfectly in the new world order.

Does that sound about right?

Scott
--