RE: Goals for 2.10 - desktop-wide profiling

Fedora 2 seems happy with 128Mb except with open office and to an extent
with Evolution.

No Alan, it's not. I tried FC2 on a 128 MB machine, it was *unusable*. In fact, sometimes the apps that I would click via the menus wouldn't load at all (512 MBs of swap btw). FC2 does require 192 MBs of RAM for Gnome (and it's on the release notes too).

XFCe is still snappy in 32Mb using gtk2, so we know it can be done.

XFce 4 is "just" usable at 128 MB on Fedora. When I installed FC2 last May, I had to ultimately switch to it, until I would receive a new stick of RAM. When I upgraded to 320 MBs of RAM, then Gnome became usable on FC2 without a problem.

On the same machine, Arch Linux was even a bit more usable with Gnome and 128 MBs, than FC2 was with XFce 4.x. (I had Arch on that machine in April).

Eugenia