Re: Regarding CD/DVD Burning

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 18:22 -0700, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> Nautilus: CD data, DVD data, ISOs
> gThumb: Image catalogs (data), PhotoCDs
> Rhythmbox: CD Audio burning (with the excellent SoundJuicer doing ripping)
> Kino: VCD, SVCD, DVD (and maybe an option to load an external app that can
> do DVD menus, like iDVD, and then do the burning from there)

We definitely want this stuff, whether there's a dedicated app or not.
These are the common cases and they should be easy and nicely integrated
in the context where you want them.

> Thing is though, how would one do CD/DVD copying? Or how would you set up
> something to write in joliet or mac fs or hybrids? Or, how to create a new
> ISO, .DMG or .CDR disc image file (and burn them afterwards)? Or, how to
> burn multiple sessions to the same CD (including mixed Audio/Data CD's)?
> Apparently these functions are pretty common, but they don't really fit on
> any of the above apps.

I'm not sure I'd use "pretty common" in the same way you do ;-) but I'll
concede people occasionally want to do these things. Some of them could
probably be worked in to contextual areas, some might require a
dedicated app. I'm all for someone writing such an app but I'm not sure
it's the end of the world if right now the answer is "use k3b".

> So, what is your opinion? Should CD/DVD burning be scattered around
> different apps, or a single app should be created that does everything?

Not something we have to make either/or.

>  And
> in any case, is the Gnome Project moving in the direction of either
> polishing and including the above applications to the core distribution, or
> create a /new/ C-based multifunction burning app?

Free software doesn't work that way... the question is, "is some person
coding one of these things," not "is GNOME doing it"

Havoc