Re: The increasing number of modules to be built with jhbuild

On 16/09/04 09:20, Mikael Hallendal wrote:

Hi,

Did a clean build of GNOME 2.8 through jhbuild today and the total number of modules it wanted to build was 106. I noticed quite a number of "support" libraries that are not really part of GNOME in there.

These where not even built from CVS but downloaded as tarballs. Shouldn't these really be part of the bootstrap rather than included in the build since they will be rebuilt everytime you do a 'jhbuild build' (iirc).

Bootstrap is for installing build tools needed to build other tools. I've tried to keep the number of modules included in the bootstrap as small as possible.

Also note that tarball modules built by jhbuild are _not_ built every time. Jhbuild stores a build time stamp in the install prefix, and if it has previously built the version of the tarball before, it will be skipped. If you saw all these tarballs being rebuilt, I assume you were installing to a fresh install prefix :)

It would also be nice to be able to skip these when you already have them on your system. Some way of overriding which modules are provided on a system level already would be nice (in your ~/.jhbuildrc preferrably). If this already works, please let me know.

Well, you can set up a skip list in your ~/.jhbuildrc like so:
 skip = [ 'module1', 'module2' ]

However, there aren't that many tarballs included in a "meta-gnome-desktop" build. The ones included are:

   * audiofile: I suppose this one could be removed if it is really a
     problem.  It is included because it used to come from gnome CVS.
   * hicolor-icon-theme: this one wasn't included in many distros until
     gnome-icon-theme started to barf if it wasn't installed ...
   * scrollkeeper: help indexes aren't too useful if you can't write to
     $sysconfdir ...
   * gnutls+friends: not included in that many distros currently.

Was there some others you had a problem with?

James.

--
Email: james jamesh id au
WWW:   http://www.jamesh.id.au/