Re: gnome-user-share

Hi Alex,

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 15:55 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> I just released the first tarball of gnome-user-share, as described in
> my blog at http://www.advogato.org/person/alex/diary.html?start=10.
>
> Just install it, run the app and enable it in gconf
> at /desktop/gnome/file_sharing/enabled and the shares should appear in
> nautilus.
>
> Of course, it needs a UI to enable/disable, some integration with gnome-
> session and maybe a UI to manage the .htaccess file, but it at least
> works.

Nice work, this is a really needed feature, in fact, I've been also
developing in the past days a solution to the sharing problem in the gst
(as described in my blog [1]), the current code is still in testing
process before I branch and commit it to HEAD, but seems to be working
quite fine for both SMB and NFS [2], my idea was to gather all the
sharing stuff in a simple app integrated with nautilus (a-la right click
& share)

It's true that g-s-t require root password to do anything, and hence
aren't accessible as easily as it's changing a gconf key, but this will
change a lot in the next version, as there will be gnome-keyring
integration.

As an advantage I could say that there could be only httpd processes
which would belong to root user, and that changing preferences for a
directory would be a lot easier, since the gst backends have lots of
stuff for parsing/replacing config files

So I'd be really glad if we somehow merge this in a single app :)

	Carlos

[1] http://www.advogato.org/person/garnacho/diary.html?start=9
[2] http://www.gnome.org/~carlosg/stuff/gst/shares-admin-in-action.png