Re: plan to drop automake-1.6 from jhbuild

On 01/09/04 12:17, Jonathan Blandford wrote:

One thing that might be interesting to do at the same time is to clean
up usage of gnome-common.  An equally unscientific survey of my src/
directory shows that about half of the gnome-modules use
gnome-autogen.sh, and half don't:

% for file in `find . -name autogen.sh -maxdepth 2`; do if ! grep \
gnome-autogen $file > /dev/null ; then echo $file; fi; done | wc

While we're at it, is there a better spot for the two remaining macros?
I'm wondering if we can kill this module, somehow.
As well as the macros and autogen.sh script, there is some stuff in the gnome-common/doc-build that Malcolm set up to better handle the xmldocs.make and sgmldocs.make fragments. It sounds like Shaun's gnome-doc-utils will eventually make these obsolete though (unless I am mistaken).

As far as the macros go, the only ones left after I purged the deprecated ones earlier this year are:

   * GNOME_COMMON_INIT: Makes sure that $ACLOCAL_FLAGS is used during a
     rebuild.  This one really only saves two lines of typing.
   * GNOME_DEBUG_CHECK: adds a --enable-debug configure script option
     and a corresponding cpp define.
   * GNOME_MAINTAINER_MODE_DEFINES: sets a Makefile variable to a bunch
     of _DISABLE_DEPRECATED macros if maintainer mode is enabled.
   * GNOME_COMPILE_WARNINGS, GNOME_CXX_WARNINGS: defines WARN_CFLAGS
     and WARN_CXXFLAGS.  Has a configure argument to add more/less flags.

Out of these the forth, and maybe the second, seem worthwhile trying to push upstream. GNOME_COMMON_INIT() once did a lot more than it does now, but now that it is two lines I think it is probably easier to just inline it in packages.

The gnome-autogen.sh script might be suitable for distributing with glib. I doubt we would be able to get it included with automake or autoconf, since they seem to recommend using "autoreconf" instead (which doesn't do everything that gnome-autogen.sh does).

James.

--
Email: james jamesh id au
WWW:   http://www.jamesh.id.au/