Re: Thinking about the tasklist

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:02:30 +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke gnu org> wrote:
> We were talking about why `people were not writing
> their own pager/window nav applets'.  If the way to `configure'
> metacity is to hack it, I guess we found the answer: it cannot be done
> [currently].

Well, there is a difference between configuring pager and tasklist
applets and configuring the window manager, though I do appreciate
that you're sort of trying to run the line between the two.

 > and a second app would `killall -USR1 keywise'.  But I deleted it
> before my first public release of keywise.c, because it's gross, I'm
> surely not the only one who needs it, and it will only give you a
> couple of key bindings, where eventually I'd like to have about 10.

Do you really need 10?  I thought you would only need 1 (to start it),
and then your app can do a grab (sort of like the current alt-tab
popup) and catch whatever further keys it needs.  But maybe I'm not
understanding.  But even if you do need 10, note that there are 12
run_command keybindings available.

> In addition to the number of bindings, I'd like to be able to change
> them dynamically (like in a menu: hover above the window-group or an
> individual window, press a key, and have that bound to cycle that
> window-group or go to that individual window).
>
> I could hardcode them for myself, but that won't work if you want to
> contribute a usable window switching metacity addon.  I don't think
> that spawning gconf-editor is the way we want to go.

You don't need to spawn gconf-editor.  You could use the gconf
library.  (Or even gconftool-2)  The control center already has a
program that modifies keybindings
(gnome-control-center/capplets/keybindings), which could serve as an
example.

Hope that helps,
Elijah