Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 17:34 +0200, DmD (Spider) Ljungmark wrote:
> There's more work here than you even want to admit.  our current crop
> of machines are Via C3, 500MHz machines (wee, plenty speed) but with
> the case of Gnome, horrifically slow start-up and load times due to
> the abysmal amount of cache in those machines.
>
> A complete Gnome desktop,  as presented for a user in this case, will
> take a bit over 30 seconds to start up ( I had exact timings at one
> point, not sure where those docs are)  but overall is lagged.

Just out of curiosity, which version of GNOME are you running on these
boxes? Debian/unstable(+experimental) packages of 2.6/2.8 seem to be
better on a Pentium III-600 with 128MB RAM.
--
Enver ALTIN                   |        http://skyblue.gen.tr/
Software developer @ Parkyeri |      http://www.parkyeri.com/