Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 09:27 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:

> I don't see why users shouldn't be able to debrand their desktop if they
> want to (this goes for the foot/fedora/'red n' menu as well.)

Sure, but it shouldn't be a normal/expected effect of changing theme I
don't think. Potentially even confusing.

>  And the
> other part is simply a matter of saying 'we're going to lay down a
> progress meter of this shape and size, and if your splash looks hideous
> with that, deal.' That's roughly what OOo does.

Note though, this means it's basically an ABI break to change the
dimensions/position/layout-algorithm of the progress indicator.
e.g. you couldn't switch from icons to progress bar.

Havoc