Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts

Am Donnerstag, den 14.10.2004, 14:58 -0400 schrieb Joe Marcus Clarke:

> For FreeBSD, we have been using a Python tool written by one of our
> GNOME users called splashsetter (http://webonaut.com/splashsetter/).
> Since we started customizing the default GNOME splash screen, having
> different splash screens have become kind of a fad, so this tool did
> find a user base.
>
> I do like some of your points about i18n and theme integration
> (currently lacking in splashsetter).  GDM has theme support, and having
> themed splash screens just completes the motif.  Perhaps splash screens
> could become another tab in the Themes capplet.

Thanks for pointing that out. I really like the basic idea of
splashsetter, exposing splash screen selection semantics by a GUI that
is. I don't feel comfortable with the GUI, though. It simply doesn't
look straightforward enough. There should be deep integration instead of
external commands. Anyway, nice attempt!

regs,
 Chris