Re: Should Desktop = Home?

We've had this argument before, and Dave Camp explains:
The Desktop is completely, 100% user-controlled space. We stick a couple
things there for starters, but after that, zilch. home is different.
Home is where conffiles and odd bits of stuff show up. Back in the UNIX
command-line-only days, that was fine, but today's less-technical users
don't often want to confuse that.

Now, if you're particularly technical, you can use gconf-editor to
switch that around. That counts as an expert cool hack.

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 01:32 +0100, Ed Mack wrote:
> Making Desktop == $HOME is just asking for the user to begin deleting
> important configuration files. It's plain wrong and bad engineering.

Now, that's the same as saying a terminal emulator should start with
$PWD==$HOME/Term since you could rm important configuration files.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?