Re: RFC: Common desktop-wide paths

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Daniel Poersch wrote:

> Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:24:29 +0200
> From: Daniel Poersch <danielpoe gmx de>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: RFC: Common desktop-wide paths
>
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 02:28:20 +0100 (IST)
> "Marc O'Morain" <lists marcomorain com> wrote:
>
> > The original proposal was to define a set of folders for storing files
> > created by the average desktop PC user. In my case these folders are
> > {Documents, Downloads, Photos, Music, Video}.
>
> I like the general idea of these folders, but this behavior must
> definitly optional!!!
>
> Other points:
> * what about talking to the freedesktop-people, to make this platform
>   wide?

Yes but i think we need a working implementation first.

I think we have a reasonably clear idea at this stage of what is needed
and if someone is willing to implement it we will be sorted.

Sorting out a FreeDesktop.org standard would be great but we've delayed
this concept a lot already.  I hope we can do it later but I want
something that works now rather than some possibly perfect in the future
(isn't that is what "Linux" was all about?)

Unfortunately I have barely used KDE (except K3B and one or two other
apps) for a long time so I have no idea what idea they might already have
in this area but I would definately prefer to do something compatible if
possible.

> * I would have some additional directories:
>   Fun - You offen get funny pictures, movies, presentations, sounds
>         which you normaly *don't* want to interfere with your normal
>         work documents

I have that too only i call it junkmail :)

>   Ebooks|Books - was already mentioned, very important for me, I put all
>                  my documentation here - Python, Perl, MySQL, LaTeX, ...

- Alan