Re: Polypaudio action plan

<quote who="Colin Walters">

> Note that libgnome already detects esd at configure time, and if it's not
> present, gnome_sound_connection_get just returns -1.  So we've already
> been deferring this decision to GNOME distributors.

Excellent. Perhaps we should just do that then, remove the esound depend
entirely.

> > This seems like a good enough short term plan, but I'd be surprised if
> > this doesn't come up again in the future. :-)
>
> I'm not sure why it would; once we standardize on GStreamer, Polypaudio
> versus ALSA versus Solaris audio versus MAS, etc. is as offtopic here as
> Linux versus FreeBSD is.

Not when we want to provide integration further up the stack, thus the
comments about polypaudio, hal, etc. You keep putting OS level interfaces at
the same level as polypaudio, esd, etc. :-)

- Jeff

--
Ubuntu in Mataró, Spain: December 5th-18th      http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

    "...and did you know that Twisties have real cheese in them?" - Dave
        "I didn't even think they had real twists in them!" - Andrew