Re: libgnomesu [was Re: Proposed modules: my consensus so far]

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
	(1) worries me because it leaks some admin-tool functionality into a
user tool which I think is likely to be frustrating and confusing for
users who *don't* have root. It also isn't optimal for users who *do*
have root - having to type the root password for every process you want
to kill isn't fun.

I don't think there is any better way.

And you don't have to enter the root password every time, if you're on RedHat. libgnomesu uses the pam_timestamp extension when available.

	There's nothing (apart from the lack of shadow password support)
distribution specific about usermode/consolehelper really.

Except that it's only included in some distributions?

 - No startup-notification integration

Last time I checked, libstartupnotify is *still* marked as "unstable API which can change any time".

	Yes, but if libgnomesu was part of the Desktop Release, it would be
perfectly valid for it to use the API.

A bit offtopic: but is the latest libstartupnotification binary compatible with 0.4? I'm on FC1 and I'm stuck with GNOME 2.4. Garnome GNOME just breaks too many things (menus show up duplicate items, etc.).

	But, yeah, you do need multiple backends - you need to support shadow
passwords. Could do that in the same backend binary, though, right?

No. The PAM backend is linked to libpam.so, which isn't available on systems without PAM.

	Right, we haven't figured out a good way to fix this. But it would
strike me as pointless for one small part of GNOME to try and fix it
independantly of the rest of GNOME - especially when the hack is going
to make security concious people very nervous.

I can disable it by default.

 - The thought of a Nautilus "Open as Superuser" component gives me
   the heebie-jeebies. I'm not sure exactly why. Its irrelevant now
   with Alex's recent changes to Nautilus, anyway :-)

Did I miss anything? What changes?

	No bonobo components for Nautilus anymore.

How's that related to privilege raising?