Re: Menubar (and Empty Default Desktop) Proposals for GNOME 2.10

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Mike Hearn wrote:

Well, why is that? Do you have any evidence (anecdotal is fine ;) that
this increases usability?

Well, the desktop for me is a place to put information that I want to have quick access to. A launcher isn't a form of information, it's something intangible that starts a program when activated. But to activate it on the desktop you have to double click it, whereas on the panel a single click suffices. (Yes, I also think we should switch to single click everything, but that's another discussion.) In short, mingling launchers and documents brings "semantic confusion".

The Ravasio et al. paper Nigel linked to seems to somewhat support this position, since it says users tend to see the desktop as a temporary storage area for working information.

More evidence than that I can't give, I'm afraid. :-)

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen

==  Europa zonder softwarepatenten! == www.nosoftwarepatents.com ==