Re: PROPONSAL : nautilus-sendto

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 22:38 +0100, Roberto Majadas wrote:
> El lun, 15-11-2004 a las 14:03 +0000, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
> escribió:
> > Dom, 2004-11-14 às 22:27 +0100, Roberto Majadas escreveu:
> > > Hi people :
> > >
> > > I want to propose nautilus-sendto for gnome 2.10 .
> > >
> > > homepage : www.es.gnome.org/~telemaco/
> > > sources : cvs.gnome.org --> nautilus-sendto
> >

> hi gustavo :
>
> >   Without analysing other UI concerns that people already pointed out,
> > I'd just like suggest a small reorganisation.  This is from just looking
> > at the shots, I didn't try the software.  Sorry.
> >
> >   Currently, the "send to" dialogue works this way:
> > 	1- You select the transfer method;
> > 	2- You select the target person;
> >
> >   Problem: for the person you wish to send the file, you need to know a
> > priori what transfer method (email/IM/...) can reach her;  What happens
> > when you select "Send as IM" and then a person for which you don't have
> > IM, only email?
>
> If you don't have gaim running , the dialog only show email option.

  I meant that I have gaim running, but not an IM contact for the person
I wish to send the file.

> >   Alternative:
> > 	1- You select the target person;
> > 	2- [optional] you expand a GtkExpander to uncover the Send As.. widget
> > 	3- [optional] you select the transfer method from a list of methods
> > supported by the person.
> >
> >   The GtkExpander above could also include the file packing option; you
> > don't usually need to worry yourself with that option, but if you want,
> > you can.
>
> I don't think so . i think is more intuitive 2 combox than un
> gtk-entry , with GtkExpander and the rest of stuff.
> This program support plugins , that mean in the future will be more
> plugins like gnome-bluetooth , gossip , xchat ....
> And the program will have the same easy ui .

  Then forget the expander.  But the order of selection is truly
important.  You usually don't care much about the transfer method.  You
care about the person.  And sometimes you don't remember if for person X
how you can reach her.  The software should just know how to reach the
person, instead of me having to tell it (and remember it).

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic