Re: GNOME 2.10 module proposal: libnotify and notification-daemon

On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 12:06 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> GNOME has a buttload of difficult to understand daemons. If one fails, or
> can't start, it is hard for an administrator to know what's going wrong or
> what it will affect.

Where we should be going IMO is that only the dbus session daemon is
manually started; everything else is started by and lifecycle-managed by
the dbus session daemon.

Whether by this mechanism or not, we need to get to a place where when
you turn on a feature the necessary daemon is guaranteed to be there;
e.g. the eggcups printer icon, NetworkManagerInfo etc. should be done
robustly so it's impossible to lose them from the session. For that
matter so should gnome-panel, nautilus, etc. I think Ray has a plan for
this.

Havoc