Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME-Backgrounds for GNOME 2.10

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Thomas Wood wrote:

> Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 12:15:03 +0000
> From: Thomas Wood <thos gnome org>
> To: Steven Garrity <stevelist silverorange com>
> Cc: "desktop-devel-list gnome org" <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME-Backgrounds for GNOME 2.10
>
> On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 00:28 -0400, Steven Garrity wrote:
> > Thomas Wood wrote:
> > > This is a proposal that the gnome-backgrounds module should be included
> > > in GNOME 2.10.
> >
> > I'm all for the beautification of Gnome, but I don't think adding a lot
> > of background images is necessarily the right move. I'd rather see a
> > small set (5 or 6?) of really professional and elegant backgrounds (ala
> > Mac OS X).
> >
> > More backgrounds than that start to offer more choice than is helpful or
> > worthwhile, especially when it is so easy to download and "install" any
> > image as your background.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steven Garrity
>
> This is why there are only 5 or 6 in each category (branded, tiles,
> abstract and translucent). I think it's important to have tiles because
> they are more resource efficient on low specification machines, and the

Tiles can also be shared and used by other applications as Patterns such
as appplications like Inkscape and the Gimp (you will not be required to
use the proprietary* .pat format, from version 2.2 any gdkpixbuf supported
format will do).  For a more integrated experience Distributions
could/should add the tiles directory to the resource folders list settings
in the gimp.

> I personally thought that the backgrounds we had included in the module
> were of professional and elegant quality. If you think any of them are
> sub-standard, let me know which, but artistic quality is always
> subjective.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/
Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org
Free SVG Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org

* proprietary in the sense of owned and used only by the gimp.  open code
but not an open standard.