Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME-Backgrounds for GNOME 2.10

On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 00:28 -0400, Steven Garrity wrote:
> Thomas Wood wrote:
> > This is a proposal that the gnome-backgrounds module should be included
> > in GNOME 2.10.
>
> I'm all for the beautification of Gnome, but I don't think adding a lot
> of background images is necessarily the right move. I'd rather see a
> small set (5 or 6?) of really professional and elegant backgrounds (ala
> Mac OS X).
>
> More backgrounds than that start to offer more choice than is helpful or
> worthwhile, especially when it is so easy to download and "install" any
> image as your background.
>
> Thanks,
> Steven Garrity

This is why there are only 5 or 6 in each category (branded, tiles,
abstract and translucent). I think it's important to have tiles because
they are more resource efficient on low specification machines, and the
abstract backgrounds offer nice alternatives if people prefer not to
have GNOME branding. And the translucent backgrounds show off the
capabilities of GNOME! Even Mac OS X has these categories, and has about
42 backgrounds in total (they have wide screen or colour variants for
almost each background).

I personally thought that the backgrounds we had included in the module
were of professional and elegant quality. If you think any of them are
sub-standard, let me know which, but artistic quality is always
subjective.

-Thomas