Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME-Backgrounds for GNOME 2.10

I think maybe Jimmac and Garret can lend a hand in doing this module.
They have enough stuff to make a real good looking and professional
gnome-backgrounds package (look for example at the uber cool photos at
http://linuxart.com/log/).

I would suggest ask them for help on this subject.

Regards

Lucas

P.S.: Before someone gets angry with me, remember, it's just a suggestion.

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 02:21:39 +0100, Maciej Katafiasz <mnews22 wp pl> wrote:
> Dnia 05-11-2004, pią o godzinie 23:19 +0000, Thomas Wood napisał:
>

> > This is a proposal that the gnome-backgrounds module should be included
> > in GNOME 2.10.

> > The gnome-backgrounds module was started by Mark Finlay as part of his
> > "GNOME Beautification" project, and maintenance has subsequently taken
> > up by me to try and continue (along with my work at art.gnome.org) this
> > effort.
> >
> > In the attempt to provide a polished complete desktop I believe it is
> > important to create a default set of backgrounds of adequate size and
> > variety to complement the existing selection of themes available in
> > GNOME. Most modern desktops already have a set of backgrounds included
> > in them so that users can have aesthetically pleasing desktops "out of
> > the box". This module not only includes these backgrounds, but also
> > includes integration with the gnome-background-chooser for
> > internationalisation support.
> >
> > Obviously with an artwork module, file size is a concern. The module is
> > currently approximately 3.4MB (compressed) and I don't expect it to grow
> > much more than this.
>
> Having default set of artwork included definitely helps to create
> polished end-user experience, so I'd vote in favor of including the
> module.
>
> Now, on technical side, I must say not all of the images are of high
> enough quality, most of ones stored in JPEG have visible compression
> artifacts that IMHO should never occur in good artwork. If possible,
> regenerating that artwork to PNG, or at least JPEG with good quality
> settings should be performed, if not, then I'd say they should be
> removed from module. There are enough good quality backgrounds even
> after removing those.
>
> Oh, and http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/gnome-
> backgrounds/tiles/stone-wall.png?rev=1.1 is just one great tile,
> thanks :)
>
> Cheers,
> Maciej
>
> --
> "Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"
>    Maciej Katafiasz <mnews2 wp pl>
>          http://mathrick.org

Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues
trabalho: LPDTA/FEQ/Unicamp
e-mail  : lookkas AT gmail DOT com
e-mail  : lucas AT feq DOT unicamp DOT br
jabber  : lookkas AT jabber DOT org
ICQ #   : 301 084 703
celular : 9738 2279