Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME-Backgrounds for GNOME 2.10

Dnia 05-11-2004, pią o godzinie 23:19 +0000, Thomas Wood napisał:
> This is a proposal that the gnome-backgrounds module should be included
> in GNOME 2.10.

> The gnome-backgrounds module was started by Mark Finlay as part of his
> "GNOME Beautification" project, and maintenance has subsequently taken
> up by me to try and continue (along with my work at art.gnome.org) this
> effort.
>
> In the attempt to provide a polished complete desktop I believe it is
> important to create a default set of backgrounds of adequate size and
> variety to complement the existing selection of themes available in
> GNOME. Most modern desktops already have a set of backgrounds included
> in them so that users can have aesthetically pleasing desktops "out of
> the box". This module not only includes these backgrounds, but also
> includes integration with the gnome-background-chooser for
> internationalisation support.
>
> Obviously with an artwork module, file size is a concern. The module is
> currently approximately 3.4MB (compressed) and I don't expect it to grow
> much more than this.

Having default set of artwork included definitely helps to create
polished end-user experience, so I'd vote in favor of including the
module.

Now, on technical side, I must say not all of the images are of high
enough quality, most of ones stored in JPEG have visible compression
artifacts that IMHO should never occur in good artwork. If possible,
regenerating that artwork to PNG, or at least JPEG with good quality
settings should be performed, if not, then I'd say they should be
removed from module. There are enough good quality backgrounds even
after removing those.

Oh, and http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/gnome-
backgrounds/tiles/stone-wall.png?rev=1.1 is just one great tile,
thanks :)

Cheers,
Maciej

--