Re: gscreensaver :: a bit of a mockup

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 04:36, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> Features I am aiming for include:
>  - i18n, l10n and a11y (I feel these are paramount for a core GNOME
>    component),
>  - HIG compliance,
>  - Integration with GDM (the face comes from the GDM)
>  - GConf support, all screensaver settings should be defined in GConf,
>    eg:
>     - what "hacks" to use in the screensaver, what "hacks" are available
>     - how long till we blank the screen, etc.
>     - a logout policy (anyone can log a user out after x minutes, only
>       an admin can log a user out, noone can log a user out, etc)
>     - a switch user policy (see integration with GDM)
>  - D-Bus support (tell the desktop we're blanking the screen),

I'm rather keen on this feature.  I'd like apps to take advantage of the
sleeping computer to do cleanup and optimization routines.

Some apps are interested in activity, not idle.  In the case of
DrWright, it forces the desktop to sleep when the user has been active
for too long.  It would be ideal, but not easy, to have gscreensaver
monitor and communicate activity for apps that are watching usage.

>  - Solutions to several xscreensaver bugs (it seems to ignore mouse axis
>    4 and 5; you can't unblank while it's fading),
>  - A better solution to running multiple screensavers on the same
>    computer, if they can all run "xmatrix" then run only one copy for
>    all screens. We don't have _that_ much spare CPU yet.

That's for taking a stab at this.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.