Re: gnome-netstatus branched

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 04:16, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hey,
> 	So I've created a gnome-2-6 branch of gnome-netstatus.
>
> 	Plans for 2.8 are roughly:
>
>   + Improve wireless support. I added support for showing the signal
>     strength yesterday but Calum has a nice UI spec which has some ideas
>     around selecting networks, entering WEP keys and so on. Hopefull
>     we'll be able to do some of that stuff.
>
>   + Improve the behaviour for people who regularily switch between
>     network devices - e.g. people who use a modem at home and then eth0
>     at work or a wireless eth1 at home and wired eth0 at work. Right now
>     you have have to manually select the device in the dialog but it
>     should be easy to just intelligently pick an active device.

It'd be cool to use some kind of human-readable device names rather than
eth0/eth1 - if only "Network Connection 1", "Network Connection 2"
perhaps. Windows uses the name of the hardware, maybe queried from PCI
or something. Or you could do things like "Wireless Connection", "LAN
Connection", etc. Don't know.

Havoc