Re: Proposal + RFC: Improving the Bugzilla layout

This effort is a very good idea.

El sáb, 13-03-2004 a las 16:59, Ryan McDougall escribió:

> GNOME Software Quality System is the name of the system used to track
> issues regarding the quality of GNOME software, and should be used in
> place of "bugzilla".

Software quality system is not synonym with bugzilla.

Bugzilla is a defect tracking system, one component in a healthy toolset
composed of SCM tools (CVS, patches), defect trackers (Bugzilla) and
documentation trackers (which the GNOME project does by using the Web).

Even those tools together are not a software quality system.  They,
nevertheless, are needed for effective quality control.

It follows that bugzilla.gnome.org should be named "GNOME defect
tracking system", according to your argument.

> A Bug is a colloquialism for an insect, or jargon for a software
> malfunction resulting from programmer error. For someone unfamiliar with
> common English usage may not be aware of either form. For someone
> unfamiliar software engineering they are likely to partially confuse the
> first form with the last. Either way bug is not formal English, and
> therefore not clear enough.

"Bug" is a very common word.  May I suggest "defect"?

> 1.1. GNOME Software Quality System Terminology
>
> A Program Malfunction is an incorrect program behaviour that results
> from mistake in design, including but not limited to: crashing on valid
> input, outputting valid input incorrectly, failing to build correctly,
> or otherwise failing to operate in a manner consistent documentation.

these sound like mistakes in any development phase, not just design.

> A Program Feature Request is a formal request for the program's
> developers to implement a behaviour that the program currently lacks,
> but if added would improve the operation of the program, including but
> not limited to: performance improvements, increasing the number of
> inputs which are treated as valid, improving the quality of outputs,
> improving the documentation, or otherwise make the program more useful
> to users.

=)

> A Formal Program Enquiry is a formal request for the program's
> developers to comment on a problem that a user has encountered with the
> program, or to respond to a comment the user has made on the program's
> behaviour. This includes anything that might not be considered either a
> Malfunction or Feature, including but not limited to: changes in design,
> scope, or method in the behaviour of the program.
>
> An Item is an entry in the database corresponding to any of the above
> three cases, previously called a "bug".

Could be called "defect" instead of item.  Item is way too general.

> To Report a Program Malfunction, make Program Feature Request, or make a
> Formal Program Enquiry, please enter your email address and password
> below then click "continue".

It sounds great and very technical/formal for developers.  The problem
is that it's too formal.  Devels would feel alienated, and end users
wishing to register a defect or complaint simply would not understand.

Although clarifying the terms is a noble purpose, the final wording
should be understood by as wide an audience as possible.  Thus the
wording should be the least formal possible, while keeping the
appearance of being "in earnest".  This does not contradict at all the
goal of consistency.

What the GNOME bugzilla needs IMHO is a bit more:

* clarity: the wording should be down-to-earth
* UI uncluttering: widgets are cluttered
* consistency: the terms should be the same everywhere