Re: Enable voting on Bugzilla?

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 22:55, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 16:14, Ryan McDougall wrote:
>
> > Rob basically made they exact same point I want to make: so long as its
> > not hurting anyone, I think it should be enabled. I don't want to
> > degrade the signal-noise ratio, but I am as yet unconvinced that a "me
> > too counter" would necessarily do so, so long as its clear to users that
> > "voting" is not binding. As such, I think this is an important
> > discussion to have.
>
> Basically, as long as the developers are ignoring the votes, it's just
> a waste of the voter's time to have the capability turned on.

To be very forthright, its also asking for bad press when a bug with a
hundred votes continues to not be fixed. A hundred (or whatever) votes
also doesn't translate directly into high priority. This *could* be
useful information, but I've also seen "interest groups" (you might call
them ;-) trying to strong arm developers using voting in Mozilla's
bugzilla. Basically voting is prone to all the problems of a self
selected sample in a poll.

This problem could be alleviated by making the voting results visible
only to gnome hackers (we already have a bit for this in bugzilla, but
maybe that's hard to mix with controlling display of voting results? I
have no clue).

-Seth