Re: bug no. 77300 : "Run Program" dialog's command history should remember "Run in terminal" settings

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 09:42, Frank Worsley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > IIRC, the run dialog still uses GnomeEntry and should be ported to
> > > GtkComboBoxEntry. Is there a way to save the history of
> > > GtkComboBoxEntry (like GnomeEntry does)?
> > >

> Assuming that GtkComboBoxEntry does not provide this history saving
> functionality, shouldn't you port GnomeEntry to derive from
> GtkComboBoxEntry and continue to use it? I mean, it does provide
> additional functionality ...
>

> > > As for knowing if what's better between gconf and the xml file, I'm no
> > > expert for this, si I'll let other people answer...
> > GConf is used to store some preferences that are very specific to a
> > application, but the kind of preferences that we want to store are bit
> > different from what is stored in GConf. Galoen stores history in a XML
> > file, and i think the same should be applicable here also.
> > Any opinions?
>
> Personally I disagree on the grounds that GnomeEntry also uses GConf to
> store its history. Seems like overkill to use an XML file to store
> something so simple.
>
> For example, the following key stores the history of the run dialog:
>
> /apps/gnome-settings/gnome-panel/history-gnome-run

Had it been, just the history commands, then its ok. I agree. But what
is required is storing some additional options along with each history
item, makes it worse. It might look simple for just one additional
option (Run in terminal option). But in long term this might not be the
ideal, since as the options that we want to store along with each entry
increases, it makes this complex. Thatz my feel ! :)

Even galeon, stores the history in both xml (Complete option for each
entry)and gconf (Just the entries ) (my XD2 galeon does that).

> - Frank

Thanks
Srini.