Re: gdm2 string freeze breakage

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:23:54AM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:
> There has been an unannounced string freeze breakage in the
> string frozen gdm2 HEAD branch.
>
> This seems to be the commit in gui/gdmlanguages.c that caused the
> unannounced string addition:
>
> ----------------------------
> 1.36 <jirka> 2004-02-29 13:03
>
> Sun Feb 29 10:02:51 2004 George Lebl <jirka 5z com>
>
> * gui/gdmlanguages.c: Make gdm know about en_DK
> ----------------------------
>
> This is the change:
> http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/cvsview2.cgi?diff_mode=context&whitespace_mode=show&root=/cvs/gnome&subdir=gdm2/gui&command=DIFF_FRAMESET&file=gdmlanguages.c&rev2=1.36&rev1=1.35
>
> Communication with translators regarding string changes at supposedly
> frozen times is very important.
>
> This string addition appears to be supposed to add an "en_DK" language
> to the language list, which would seem nonsensic to most people, as
> there simply is no large English-speaking population minority in
> Denmark, and English isn't an official language of Denmark either. The
> only official language in Denmark is Danish. Thus, adding en_DK as a
> language makes as little sense as adding any other random combination of
> any language and territory.
>
> Also, we don't have any en_DK translations in GNOME, and given the above
> situation, there's very little probability we will ever have such.
>
> Thus, I would not even see the point in adding this language entry in
> non-freeze times, and absolutely not at freeze times. I suggest it be
> reverted immediately.

Sorry, I must have been on crack when adding it.  It's not really important
but it doesn't actually add a visible string to the GUI, the locale.alias
would have to be changed for that.  I was just encountering this locale on
some POSIX standard page and just wanted to add it to the translation matrix
(so that in case it would be listed in locale.alias it would be translated).
I reverted the change since I don't really care since it's not a visible text
unless the user adds an en_DK language, but if they do that now they will get
ugly untranslated text, but who cares, nice untranslated text with the
addition, or ugly untranslated text without.  I suppose it makes the
translation statistics cleaner to not add it now even though it doesn't have
affect on the actual translation of the thing.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   A physical understanding is a completely unmathematical, imprecise, and