Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME Volume Manager for GNOME 2.8

--- Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk> wrote: > On Gwe, 2004-06-25 at 20:01, Sander
Vesik wrote:
> > So why not use a standard packing mechanism like say zip, especially as everyby
> > realistcly going to have zlib mapped anyways instead of creating a new packing
> > format?
>
> Because I am not trying to create an archive format. Zip data
> isnt aligned and being compressed is useless for live processing.

it need not be compressed. You could even specify it in the spec, though notably
anything png is already probably deflated and thus not suitable under this criteria.
Which scenarious do you have in mind that call for alignment?