Re: metacity roadmap

Havoc Pennington writes:

> I think it's already very possible, writing a new panel applet (or your
> own standalone app) that does WM manipulation should be pretty easy with
> libwnck.

Ah, yes.  I already wrote a simple libwnk window list thingy:

    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app-devel-list/2004-May/msg00282.html

but I found no solution yet to my biggest problem: to bind a key that
pops-up the window list even better: a number of keys, say KP_1
.. KP_9, that select the appropriate menu-item).

As a hack, this first example version can be run standalone and bound
to Metacity's run-command -- but that's quite crude.

It is probably a simple thing, so people keep insuring me, but I would
be much obliged with a pointer, documentation or code.

> Well this is roughly the idea of metacity; I've mostly rejected patches
> that only help a few percent of people

Ok.

>> and am rewriting the keywise.c popup in guile.

> Sounds cool!

You understand that with the guile version, the standalone run-command
hack is not even an option (you can't really test the feel of a
window-list selector if you have to wait for > 2seconds after pressing
the hotkey :-)

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke gnu org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter