metacity roadmap (was Re: metacity branched)

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 18:00, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> What are the plans for the development cycle?

No firm plans, basically depends on what people decide to implement. I
posted some things I'd like to see a couple weeks ago:
http://log.ometer.com/2004-05.html#31

> If it is not already possible, I would very much like to have a way (a
> hook?) to focus/pop-up an alternative libwnck menu list to experiment
> a bit: get a feel for what kind of window menu/selection could really
> work.

I think it's already very possible, writing a new panel applet (or your
own standalone app) that does WM manipulation should be pretty easy with
libwnck. GNOME comes with three examples: the workspace switcher, window
list, and window selector. (Window selector is the drop-down menu,
window list is the "task bar")

> You say
>
>     My .02 would be that if the user has to explicitly set things up,
>     it's not a very good solution - maybe a few percent of users at
>     most will do that.
>
> which probably means that you are aiming a bit higher than I was.

Well this is roughly the idea of metacity; I've mostly rejected patches
that only help a few percent of people, with some exceptions. Trying to
keep the WM maintainable, which is especially important given how
limited the maintenance resources are at the moment.

> I hope we can do even better, I'd very much like to experiment a bit
> improve the situation.  To that point I've already made a small
> libwnck wrapper for guile-gnome and am rewriting the keywise.c popup
> in guile.

Sounds cool!

Havoc