Re: PROPOSAL: Evolution for GNOME 2.8

Havoc Pennington wrote:

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 13:13, Paolo Borelli wrote:
My primary concern with this is that some people (me included, but other
on irc agreed) which just want to submit a couple of patches to scratch
their itches, often cannot be bothered to do the required paperwork even
if they would have no problem with the copyright assignment itself.

I don't think this is a big concern; as Nat says copyright assignment is
a good idea.

What I'd worry about more is the asymmetric assignment situation for say
OO.org (and I think but I'm not sure for Evolution), where one company
has the exclusive right to create proprietary versions or link in
proprietary code. Basically we're talking about a GPL loophole.

This is implicit in any assignment, not just OOo - provided one entity controls the codebase, they can freely relicence it under any number of licences they want, and the "external" licence being GPL doesn't change anything. It is also very much the wrong gripe to have about OOo - with its present licences anybody can make their own version into which they can link any amount of
proprietary code. Sun is not somehow special in this regard.

Netscape had this loophole for Mozilla in the NPL, which gave them
special privileges to credit them for creating the codebase. See:
http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/NPL-1.1.html

However the NPL has a time limit; the Netscape special privileges ended
after 2 years.

Of course Qt, MySQL, etc. use this as a business model. Red Hat's Cygwin
does as well.

In practice I think this is a real problem for StarOffice/OO.org and
only a hypothetical problem for Evolution (now that Connector is open
source).
Its not - or rather, its only for people who haven't bothered to actualy read the licences and thus don't
know how reality looks like.

I do support including Evolution in 2.8, however to the extent I'd worry
about copyright assignment this is the issue I would raise.

Havoc