Re: Proposal for new thinking in Session management

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 07:49, montr skummelt no wrote:

> Proposal:
> I propose a new system, that ALWAYS saves the session without asking,
> and gives the user the chance to open up his previous session when
> loggin in. The system should keep a list of the last X sessions (ordered
> by date), and allow the user to copy some of these sessions into a list
> of "saved sessions", which the user can rename to make them more
> memorable. It might be a good idea to come up with less technical
> terminology.
>
> The above was the main part of the proposal. The rest is just UI ideas
> which could probably be done better by others.

History - in the early days of GNOME we always saved the session.
This caused problems like:

 - 15 terminals coming back up, all with a CWD of $HOME. (The 15
   terminals were useful when they were in different directories
   on different machines)

 - Ditto for mozilla windows

 - xterm duplicating more and more of themselves in every restart.
   (gnome-sm-proxy wasn't/isn't very reliable)

 - The user wondering why some apps came back, some didn't

The current explicit-save approach is there precisely because
the app support and gnome-session itself isn't very good.

If we could get to the point where the user could log out and
get a desktop on log in that was essentially the same as when
he logged out, then at that point, I think you could consider
saving the session always.

So, the *first* step is going through apps one by one and making them
save state really well. (This includes things like saving a
temporary file for the current document.)

Regards,
						Owen