Re: Proposal for new thinking in Session management

From: montr skummelt no writes:

>I propose a new system, that ALWAYS saves the session without asking,
>and gives the user the chance to open up his previous session when
>loggin in.

Until the GNOME session code is built well enough to handle any
application - and frankly, that time seems unlikely to come -
I would suggest that making this change will make a user's
life harder, rather than easier.

For instance, with the GNOME software that Sun currently ships,
less than 50% of the applications the users start are recognized
at all by the 'save sessions' code.  Of the ones that are recognized,
a number are not done properly, because applications like
mozilla and many others are started in wrapper shells that set up
various environment variables, etc.

For a site to enable its users to start such applications properly,
they have to set up specialized startup profiles.

By always saving a session, the user is unable to determine
which applications are going to restart properly, which ones
will have to be terminated and started manually, etc.

Please don't cause such grief.
--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden cas org> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>