Re: Preferences, System Tools

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 02:15:56PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > > Internationalization
> > >       * Keyboard layout
> > >         (may additionally have a panel presence)
> > >       * Language
> >
> > What of locale?  Are date and number formats implicit in the items
> > above?
>
> I would assume those come from the active language/locale yes. Not sure
> we need "English messages and French number format" in the GUI.

This seems to fall into the same camp as the keyboard layout.  Most
users want/need a simple locale.  However, there is a use case for
people that need more.  Whatever is chosen has to have provisions
for them to tweak things as necessary.  The current XKB vs modmap
debacle is ample evidence of a situation where we did not provide
enough power for users to over ride things manually.  That will
hopefully be fixed in the next release.