Re: PROPOSAL: Evolution for GNOME 2.8

regarding (c) assignment... I think the bigger issue here is that GNOME
in general has been pretty lax about it and that "we" should probably
start REQUIRING (c) assignment to the FSF (or wherever) for all code
that gets put into GNOME.

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 19:13 +0200, Paolo Borelli wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 22:17 -0400, JP Rosevear wrote:
> > The Evolution team would like to formally propose Evolution 2.0
> > (http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution) for inclusion in the GNOME 2.8
> > Desktop release.
>
> (I know I'm risking to be flamed. Badly. But people on irc suggested it
> could be a point worth raising on the mailing list, so I'll take the
> risk)
>

> Isn't anyone concerned by the fact that Evo would be the only module
> included which requires copyright assignment?

They all should require (c) assignment. the fact that some don't is a
"bug" and I feel it needs to be resolved to protect us from legal issues
down the road.

> Note: I love Evoultion and I'd love to see it in the desktop release,
> I'm just raising the question.
>
> Note 2: please don't start a flamewar about about copyright
> assignemnt/GPL/FSF/GNOME/KDE/Whatever. Ximian/Novell has all its rights
> to require copyright assignment and Evolution *is* GPL, the only thing I
> am wondering is how this interacts with the inclusion in the desktop
> release.
>

> My primary concern with this is that some people (me included, but other
> on irc agreed) which just want to submit a couple of patches to scratch
> their itches, often cannot be bothered to do the required paperwork even
> if they would have no problem with the copyright assignment itself.

While I agree that this can be annoying, once you sign the papers - you
never have to do it again. Also, I think ALL modules should require
copyright assignment to the FSF, Red Hat, etc (whoever owns the module).
I think for the most opart this will end up being the FSF, but there may
be a few modules that will belong to someone else.

I do think, tho, that it would be nice if all the modules were (c) FSF
so that once someone signed the paperwork, they wouldn't have to do it
again for each module they touched.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast