Re: new module: eggcups

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004, John McCutchan wrote:

> From: John McCutchan <ttb tentacle dhs org>
> Subject: Re: new module: eggcups
>
> On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 07:49, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 02:00:20PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > >
> > > As mentioned before, this requires a D-BUS patched CUPS daemon in order
> > > to function at all.  For reference, I've added the patch to the eggcups
> > > module.  I'd like to consider the eggcups module the canonical reference
> > > for this patch, so if you are a distributor and adopt it, and need to
> > > modify the patch for any reason, please let me know.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately I don't think I'll have time in the near future to support
> > > the non-DBUS case.
> >
> > This is going to be a sticking point.  While the d-bus support is
> > definitely nice, I don't see us being able to depend on it's
> > existence in GNOME proper.  On the corporate level we can all
> > attempt to ship with the patch, but wearing my community hat I don't
> > see us requiring it even when it merges into cupsd.  IMO we can't
> > force a user to upgrade some piece of infrastructure to work.
>
> Why? We can't halt progress because some users aren't willing to upgrade
> another part of there system. In order to make great progress on the
> integration front we need to be willing to say that different parts of
> the stack need to be upgraded.
>
> John

It doesn't have to be about the user. In debian, for example, the cups
maintainer is a seperate maintainer from the gnome maintainers. I can
very well understand that he would not want to integrate d-bus in cups.

Or it just be that the user is not running linux at all. There are a lot
of people using *BSD. This doesn't pose a problem in se wrt the cups in-
tegration, but where is udev on *BSD and GNU/Hurd?

It troubles me a bit that gnome is going in a Linux/i386 direction, and
maybe even the RedHat/Novell direction, instead of a *NIX desktop direc-
tion.

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."