RE: Proto initial GNOME 2.6 new modules decision

> > Hmm, I don't think we need to require that nor should we expect it.
> > libxklavier is alot close to the platform level (X libc) than to
> > GNOME.
> Yes, technically you are 101% right. I just thought Murray
> wanted to bind libxklavier releases to the GNOME schedule,
> which makes some sense. Time-wise, I am nearly ready to
> adhere to GNOME schedules (the word "nearly" covers the mess
> with the platform support and API breakage which I have
> within 2.6 scale).
>
> So (my final personal statement follows), if GNOME Release
> Team finds it absolutely necessary, I synchronize the library
> schedule with the GNOME one. But on the initial cycle (2.6)
> IMHO it would be more effective to have libxklavier as
> external dependency - so I would be able to fix problems
> (especially - compatibility problems) faster. Since I am the
> only person who updates all libxklavier-related code in
> GNOME, this should not be a major issue.

Basically, it's nice to know that libxklavier has a maintainer that
understands the release cycle and what GNOME needs. I think this is not be
the first time that we have introduced a dependency on a non-GNOME library.

Maybe there is a freedesktop.org release schedule that it can follow
instead.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net