RE: Proto initial GNOME 2.6 new modules decision

Hi

> It's not an optional dependency, so I think we all expect it to follow the
> GNOME release schedule, and that's why it was listed as a proposed new GNOME
> 2.6 module. Please tell us very clearly if you do not expect libxklavier to
> follow the GNOME Desktop release schedule.
Well, well. You really caught me here. The thing is that I would be
happy to follow the GNOME schedule. And in a future, I will try. But for
2.6 I really cannot promise. The support for non-xkb-able platforms
(just compilation!) made me release 0.97 which effectively broke API
used in g-c-c and g-c. Sorry, but I had no choice (and could not do it
before because I simply have no Solaris/HPUX box around). The compatible
(compilable and working) code for g-c-c and g-a is in CVS, sure - but
the previous development releases are broken, they are not buildable
with 0.97. I am sorry but I could do nothing about it. Release team can
kill me if it makes them feel better.

That is why I would consider libxklavier as external dependency for 2.6
- and probably would include it as a core library in 2.8, when we settle
platform support down. But this is just my idea.

> Keep asking and keep repeating the issues, I guess.
I am trying. It seems, the major problem is the speed of support on
legacy platforms (Solaris, HPUX etc) is the poor XKB implementation
(even if it exists!). Just quite recently it was found Solaris does not
set necessary root window property (current XKB configuration) - and God
knows how long it will take for Sun people to fix it.

That's the whole truth.

Regards,

--
Sergey