Re: desktop-wide env vars

Hey Seth,

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 08:17, Seth Nickell wrote:
> It might be worthwhile having a standard way/place to document env vars
> relevant to modules. They're rather difficult to find by hunting through
> source code, and assuming they have a reason to exist, are probably
> relevant to distros and the like packaging GNOME.
>
> Another place that it would be useful to include this information is in
> the Sysadmin guide.
>
> Particularly important to sysadmins are env vars relevant to running
> GNOME and apps out of different prefixes. For example, we've now got
> XDG_DATA_DIRS, and I can't even find the env var (if one exists) for
> pointing bonobo-activation to alternate .server directories.

If you can wait a couple of days, I have notes on all of these that I
worked out for an abortive GUADEC talk last year. I'll need to write
them up into an understandable form, but that is just a matter of me
finding a couple of hours to do (no time today, but maybe some tomorrow
night).

This list includes various debugging variables that can be set as well
(which is more developer-oriented, than sysadmin-oriented, but
nonetheless useful to have written down).

Unless somebody beats me to it, I'll post something here when I get this
done.

Cheers,
Malcolm