Re: Shutdown from Gnome

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 02:11:11AM -0600 or thereabouts, Tom Lamm wrote:
> I had just upgraded to 2.4 at the time. I was so impressed that I also
> installed it on my brother's laptop. That installation, on his laptop,
> included the feature. When selecting Actions/Logout a dialog prompts if you
> want to shut the computer down or simply logout.
>
> I haven't seen that on any other upgrade for my install since. Is it still
> included? Is there an option I must turn on to enable it?

I am still trying to figure out exactly how to do this, because it
comes up all the time. It Just Works on Red Hat (and consequently
Fedora). Other distros: I dunno. I know it doesn't on some of them,
but perhaps it does on others.

If you build a whole newer Gnome on top of RH, I believe this
feature goes away? Not sure. I know that sticking Ximian on
top of Red Hat used to make it go away. Don't know whether it
does now.

I have in the past been told to look at (a) gnome-logout (can't
find it there); (b) gnome-session (haven't found it there);
(c) pam (oh god, the docs are _huge_!); and (d) consolehelper
(which looks likely, but the user-level docs are minimal and
it still involves pam. And /etc/pam.d/ makes my head hurt).

If you find out, please do let me know how this is achieved.
It drives me crackers.

Telsa

Normally I'd apologise for posting this to desktop-devel-list,
since it's not actually about developing the desktop; but no-one
ever answers this on gnome-list either, so perhaps someone here
will know the answer!