Re: New external dependecy request (ICU)

> From: Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld dkuug dk>
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 06:35:46PM -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > We are currently moving to produce our own tables from the ICU data
> > though, so it would only be a maintainer dependency, not a deployment
> > dependency for us.
> Is it possible to consider using the locale data from glibc?
> I think there are more languages supported there, and the data is
> sometimes more accurate.

It would be optimal if we can all refer to the Common XML Locale
Repository instead of deriving from secondary source, so that we only
need to maintain the single repository to maintain consistency among
all locale data.

The other format of the data should be derived by the tools
machinery.

That is how we created glibc UTF-8 locales released on openi18n.org
years ago, and the data in ICU, in StarOffice, etc. We are working on
expanding coverage more both in locale data itself and also the tools
to create the necessary target format from Common XML Locale
Repository, such as Java and even potentially MS platforms.

BTW, we at openi18n.org is in the process of transferring a part of
the Common XML Locale Repository project to Unicode Consortium, to
co-host the project.
One of the expectations upon this partial transfer is to accommodate
those locale data of MS platforms into Common XML Locale Repository,
as it seems to be difficult for MS to participate to the openi18n.org
project but it seems not to the Unicode Consortium activity.

--
hiura {freestandards org,OpenI18N.org,li18nux.org,unicode.org,sun.com}
Chair, OpenI18N.org/The Free Standards Group          http://www.OpenI18N.org