Re: Proposed: Evolution (and associated libs)

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:09:23AM +0100, Chipzz wrote:

> Argh, you're right - so does encompass. I also looked at agnubis, and it
> only pulls in the gtk_combo_* function:

agnubis is not under active development so I would not worry about
its requirements.

> gtk_combo_box_get_type
> gtk_combo_box_set_title
> gtk_combo_stack_new
> gtk_combo_text_add_item
> gtk_combo_text_get_type
> gtk_combo_text_new
> gtk_combo_text_select_item

There are already slightly improved replaces for these in
gnumeric/src/widgets.    There are also color combos, and pixmap
combos in there that started out in gal.  All of them are showing
their age.  I've just committed some GtkAction and GtkToolItem
wrappers for them in what will become libgoffice to go with the port
to gtk-2.3.

> Which may be portable to gtk+ 2.4 - but those symbols were not in libegg
> :/ (yes I did cut of the initial gtk :P)
If necessary apps could cut-n-paste the gnumeric code for now.

> What I'm worried about is the widgets that may be usefull to other apps.
> Ie, the color_combo(_box), which I can see apps like gnumeric, abiword
> and others use. Actually, gnumeric uses one that looks exactly like the
> one in evolution. So what _do_ those apps use ATM? One of these imple-
> mentations should probably be moved to the gnome-office library when
> jody splits it out of gnumeric I guess, or possibly some other lib.

I'd suggest waiting until the library gets pulled out.  Now that
gnumeric has branched it will not be long.  These widgets need some
love, but they are definitely necessary for interface elements that
are similar to MS Office.