Re: Suggestion for the actual UI of GTK+'s New FileSelector

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 05:51:28PM -0800, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> FYI:
> http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5582
> Please read the article for full explanation as to why things are the way
> they are in the mockup.
>
> Suggestions (but mostly source code :-) are welcome.
>
> Eugenia

At first glance, I wasn't sure what I thought about the location of
the shortcuts, but I see the reasoning for it, and would not be
opposed to it.

While the look of the shortcuts is nice, visually, I do have a couple
of issues with it.

First, what exactly are those widgets? I of course know they can be
clicked, but just from thinking from the perspective of some of my
clients, some may not be sure what to do with them. They don't
resemble standard buttons, afterall.

Second, this view doesn't leave much room to put user-specified
favorite locations. I believe the new file selector in CVS allows that
in the locations on the left? I'm sure, I haven't honestly played with
it as much as I'd have liked.

I really like the button navigation scheme used to quickly jump to
paths. I would like to see this in the file selector, and be made into
a widget that other apps could use.

The part I have trouble getting used to is the aspect ratio of the
window. I'm used to the width being greater than the height. This is a
minor thing in my opinion, though.

The file selectors I see always seem to just present the user with
what directory you're in, the files, and give you some actions and
maybe shortcuts. Why don't any file selectors provide an integration
search feature for quickly finding a file on the filesystem?
Integration with the locate database or something. There have been
many occasions when I've forgotten where I put a file, had to open a
terminal, found it using locate, and then moved back to the file
selector to navigate there.

Just my 2 cents.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond         <>  The GNUpdate Project
chipx86 gnupdate org      <>  http://www.gnupdate.org/