Re: Proposed: gnome-network

<quote who="Mark McLoughlin">

> gnome-remote-desktop
> --------------------

Agree with your comments on this 100%.

> gnome-remote-shell
> ------------------
>
> 	A sweet frontend for ssh-ing or telnet-ing to a remote host. Reminds me
> of "putty" on Windows.
>
>   + Again, I'm a little worried that this is another "geek tool", but
>     I suppose if we include a terminal then there isn't much reason
>     not to include this.
>
>     Silly thought: could this feature not belong in the terminal ?

That's how it's done on Panther, but it's not very discoverable. There's
also the option of combining this and the remote display UI. What you're
really looking at here is 'remote access' to another machine - whether it's
display or shell, or which protocol is used, is just a detail of this goal.

> 	I feel like each one of them is targeting different types of users and
> are only grouped together because they have something to do with
> networking. What I'd love to see is some sort of bigger picture view of
> what this module is about - are they "geek toys" or are they widely
> useful tools to bring more of the benefits of networking to a large
> proportion of our users?

I think the 'geektoy' analysis of the network tool is fairly true, but
having a simple tool like this available for users to provide information to
sysadmins and so on is pretty useful. It might have a place. However, the
idea of splitting these up, adding some of the other network utilities we
have available, and working on a 'network tools release' sounds much better
to me - many of them share common infrastructure, after all.

- Jeff

   She said she loved my mind, though by most accounts I had already lost
                                    it.