Re: Proposed: gnome-system-tools

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 02:05, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> El dom, 04-01-2004 a las 17:14, Havoc Pennington escribió:
> > On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 01:52, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > Hrm, I don't know what to say about these, apart from the fact that they're
> > > really sweet these days. Clearly people want them, but there hasn't been
> > > much distributor buy-in or commentary at all, really.
> >
> > I had a few comments last time we discussed it -
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-October/msg00243.html
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-October/msg00255.html
> >
> > Re-reading these, my main concern continues to be that nobody is sitting
> > down and holistically thinking through the control panels as a whole,
> > how they appear in the menus, where each setting lives and how the user
> > finds it.
> >
> > Not a problem introduced by the system tools, but here is the thing:
> > it's the main problem including system tools in GNOME could _solve_,
> > that we can't solve easily in distribution-specific tools.

How about this as an initial proposal for resorting

Scrap server tools as a main level (where it is used)

Then have System tools with the following sub-headings

Network Access (connection to outside the local machine as client)

Server Settings - only settings that relate to acting as a server
(named, smb, mail etc)

Local Machine Settings (packages, system logs, services, password etc)

peripherals (printers, mouse etc)

This would keep one sub-level and be more obvious