Re: Use of American/British English (was Re: request for string addition)

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 18:46, Noah Levitt wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 13:34:49 +0100, Christian Rose wrote:
> > interfaces ("colour"/"color", "customise"/"customize" etc.).
>
> Forgive me for being pedantic, but fortunately we can
> dispose of half the differences. You won’t find “customise”
> or “standardise” in the Oxford English Dictionary.

Forgive me for being even more pedantic, but I just looked in the copy
on my desk (Pocket OED, rather battered 1992 edition), and I did find
them :-)

But excessive pedantry aside (sorry), your point is correct: "customize"
and "standardize" are given as the primary spellings (the "-ise"
spellings appear, but are listed as variants)

Dave Malcolm