Re: Licensing and copyright

GNOMS is no different from other GNU projects in the
handling of copyrights--the FSF requires copyright
assignments for some projects, but other projects the
copyright is kept by the original author(s).  You can
assign your GNOME code to the Free Software
Foundation, of course, at your discretion.

Thus in this regard, there is no need for any new
"policy"--GNOME is doing what everyone is commonly
doing already.

--- Rob Adams <readams readams net> wrote:
> The FSF uses a procedure by which authors of
> significant contributions
> to GNU projects can assign their copyright to the
> FSF to make
> enforcement of the GPL easier.  GNOME is
> theoretically part of the GNU
> project, but it does not seem to follow the
> copyright guidelines used by
> other GNU projects and recommended in the licensing
> guidelines that the
> FSF lists for the GPL.
>
> Does the GNOME project have a policy on the
> ownership of GNOME code, on
> copyright, and on licensing?  As my contributions to
> GNOME become
> increasingly significant, I want to ensure that all
> the code I write has
> the copyright and licensing properly assigned to
> guarantee that there
> are not legal obstacles to enforcement of the GPL in
> GNOME projects to
> which I have contributed.
>
> Can someone point me to any documentation/developer
> guides on this issue
> that may exist?  If such a document does not exist,
> I would put forth
> that a policy for copyright should be created
> immediately.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob Adams

=====
Andy Tai, atai atai org
Free Software: the software by the people, of the people and for the people! Develop! Share! Enhance! Enjoy!