Licensing and copyright

The FSF uses a procedure by which authors of significant contributions
to GNU projects can assign their copyright to the FSF to make
enforcement of the GPL easier.  GNOME is theoretically part of the GNU
project, but it does not seem to follow the copyright guidelines used by
other GNU projects and recommended in the licensing guidelines that the
FSF lists for the GPL.

Does the GNOME project have a policy on the ownership of GNOME code, on
copyright, and on licensing?  As my contributions to GNOME become
increasingly significant, I want to ensure that all the code I write has
the copyright and licensing properly assigned to guarantee that there
are not legal obstacles to enforcement of the GPL in GNOME projects to
which I have contributed.

Can someone point me to any documentation/developer guides on this issue
that may exist?  If such a document does not exist, I would put forth
that a policy for copyright should be created immediately.

Thanks,
Rob Adams