Re: Problem with compiling GNOME 2.5

On 13/02/2004 12:47 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:

Hello,
Sorry if this is not the right list for this question - apologies in
advance :-)
I have been using jhbuild to compile GNOME HEAD from cvs.
Recently, metacity and nautilus were acting very sluggishly, and after
some poking around, I found out that the files that were being installed
in $prefix/lib were missing the *.so extension.
Example

[testgnome starship-enterprise lib]$ ls -lh *glade*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 testgnome testgnome       18 Feb  9 21:22 libglade-2.0 -
libglade-2.0.0.0.2*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 testgnome testgnome       18 Feb  9 21:22 libglade-2.0.0
-> libglade-2.0.0.0.2*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 testgnome testgnome      91K Feb  9 21:22 libglade-
2.0.0.0.2*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 testgnome testgnome     1.4K Feb  9 21:22 libglade-2.0.
la*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 testgnome 505            21 Jan 18 14:04 libglade-2.0.so
-> libglade-2.0.so.0.0.2*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 testgnome 505            21 Jan 18 14:04 libglade-2.0.
so.0 -> libglade-2.0.so.0.0.2*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 testgnome 505           91K Jan 18 14:04 libglade-2.0.
so.0.0.2*

This is not an isolated issue - I noted the same problem with a number
of other files.
I am not really  familiar with the inticracies of the auto* tools and
libtool, and so I am totally confused here.
Any pointers towards what is going wrong would be much appreciated.

I am running Mandrake 9.2.
This problem occurs when aclocal finds the libtool.m4 from one version of libtool, and the libtoolize script installs an ltmain.sh from another version (the two versions are probably 1.4.x and 1.5.x). These combine to create a non-working libtool script that installs shared libraries without extensions.

I'd suggest modifying ACLOCAL_FLAGS and/or PATH so that the right files get chosen.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/