Re: Please, include Gnome System Tools in Gnome 2.6 (+suggestion for preferences)

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 19:10, Egle Kriaučiūnienė wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
>  > Gnome System Tools
>  >
>  > It's looks like No, though not all members of the release team have
>  > given their full input. In general there is concern that
>  > - Distros are not using it yet.
>  > - It does not yet have a perfect solution for root privileges.
>  > - The menu structure for user and system preference is not fully
> decided.
>
> Why no ? More and more distros are using it (look at
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/distros.php) and list of supported
> distributions is updated often, for example last version (0.32) works
> with PLD distro 1.1 and 1.99, look at:
> http://gnomedesktop.org/article.php?sid=1635&mode=thread&order=0&thold=1
>
> In other hand, if gnome developers don't want to include
> gnome-system-tools how distros would start to use these tools?
>
> Btw, some distros don't even use Gnome (like Suse) ;)
>
> There was a big discussion about GST. I use these tools from
> ximian-setup-tools 0.8 release and can't live without these tools,
> because setting time or adding/removing users without these tools was a
> difficult task in Linux with GNOME. For example KDE had boot manager,
> time and users management tools about 3 years ago, why Gnome developers
> are still discussing about including such tools ?

This is getting really late in the game for gnome-system-tools.  We have
less than a month until the 2.6 release, and g-s-t is almost completely
undocumented.  This is a rather largeish module to document, and I doubt
we'll be able to write good documentation from scratch in a month.

Really, maintainers should make an effort to get documentation before
they propose their module for inclusion.

--
Shaun